When you find yourself plunged into new territory like the lockdown we are in today as a result of covid-19, we still remain with choices in our hands. As a family we faced a pretty big storm “hurricane odile” a few years ago whilst in Mexico. When we as a family found ourselves plunged into darkness with very little food, no power, no water to flush toilets, no phone coverage, no internet, no contact with the outside world… in other words completely alone! We quickly made a choice as a family… let’s get creative, and let’s find ways to support each other, and others instead of sitting here in misery!
“Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in the midst of difficulties”. — C.S. Lewis
Thank you CS Lewis, you are 100% right, and Romans 8:6 reminds us it starts with taking control of our thoughts “The mind governed by the flesh is death, but the mind governed by the Spirit is life and peace.”
So in the midst of our current storm, here’s a few simple things that we decided as a family that we pray will help you…
- Walk in Love – Be selfless, giving, and put the need of others before your own. Love kicks into action when you don’t feel like it, feelings don’t dictate its choices. When you walk with God, you have a bottomless source of His Love to draw from in the middle of a storm!
- Wear a smile, it looks good on your face 😂 joy is a choice we make that no circumstance can steel from you. It’s doesn’t mean we are always in a “good mood” but it does mean we can live in an place of unexplainable contentment. Joy doesn’t allow sadness, or despair to rule thoughts or guide actions.
- Take a deep breath and exhale – Peace comes from a deep confidence that God is who He is, and will do what He says He will do. Peace comes from trusting the promises of God in the middle of your storm. You know when you have, and it will rest upon you if you just reach out to God and ask for it… and today is a good day to ask 😇🙏
- Exercise Patience – It is still possible to be calm in stressful situations. Like cutting your family a little slack when they are not doing things to your standard. Our homes will be a much nicer place when we daily make decisions to not become easily annoyed. So pause, take a breathe and resist the urge to bite 😜
- Be Constantly Kind – find unique ways to celebrate others and serve them when there is a need. That could be as simple as making someone a cup of coffee without being asked… novel I know, but it still builds the right momentum you are after in your family. It looks out for the well-being of others and shows compassion, and benevolence to anyone… even those neighbours at their 2 metre distance 👍
- Emanate Goodness – There are still going to be ways to help others in the next few weeks, so let’s remain creative. Goodness does the right thing and inspires your family to do the same. It is honest, honourable, and full of integrity. Good people don’t just do the right thing… they make things right!
Big love from the Crawford’s to you & your family!
Pastor Greg Crawford is the Campus Pastor for City Impact Church at North Shore, Auckland